If there’s one thing Floridians cannot live without it is air conditioning. With summertime upon us and the temperature heating up, you want to make sure your system is working properly and efficiently. During the hot summer months your AC will be working harder, and the likelihood of a system failure increases. Now is the right time to check on your system and take preventative measures to make sure you’re not left in the heat.
Signs You Need a New Air Conditioning System
The last thing you want is to be without AC during the hottest months of the year, so it’s important you know some basic information about your system and the signs that you might be in need of a replacement.
- Life Span of Your AC System. If you haven’t replaced your AC in over 10 years, you are likely due for a new one. HVAC units are less durable these days than in the past, so after around the 10-year mark, you should be on the lookout. How your system has been maintained and usage will be a factor in determining if a replacement is needed, but the 8-to-10-year mark is usually good timing for a replacement AC system.
- Repair Costs are High. Once your system begins to deteriorate, it will need repairs on a more frequent basis. If you find yourself making repetitive repairs with costs adding up, it is most likely in your best financial interest to invest in a new system. The cost for a new system might be more upfront, but you’ll save more money in the long run by not having to make costly repairs on a regular basis plus the energy savings of a newer more energy efficient system.
- Your Monthly Energy Bill is Higher Than Normal. When your AC system isn’t functioning properly, you’ll notice an increase in your energy bill. Be mindful of unusually high energy bills and check for billing inconsistencies to determine if your system may be the silent culprit.
- The System is Leaking. If you notice water dripping from your unit, or cool air feeling less cool, or if your AC is freezing up, you might have a leak. Get it checked to see if it can be repaired or diagnosed to determine if it’s time for a replacement.
- Your AC is Making Strange Noises. If your AC system is clanking or making other noises you’ve never heard before, it’s a signal that something is not right. You’ll need a professional to determine the cause and decide if a replacement is needed.
It is important to be mindful of the signs that your system is not functioning properly and might be in need of replacement. With an average lifespan of 8 to 10 years, and parts warranties expiring as soon as 5 years, you want to know the age of your system, so you’re not caught off guard.
Aside from your AC’s lifespan, some malfunctions are costly enough where a replacement would make more sense, so make sure to contact a professional for a diagnosis. Since Total is familiar with most condo buildings and properties in South Florida, we can give you accurate estimates right over the phone. Most other Air Conditioning contractors cannot or will not provide that type of service.
Since 1970, Total Appliance and Air Conditioning Repairs, Inc. has been providing homeowners in Miami-Dade, Broward, and Palm Beach with the peace of mind that their new air conditioning system and installation will keep them cool for years to come.
Click here to learn more about our air conditioning services and view our specials page to review our current offers.